Wednesday 1 December 2010

Do one thing every day that scares you

I've done my one thing that scares me today:  I tried out for a play!  "Twelve Angry Men" will be produced on the Fuller campus as "Twelve Angry Jurors"; it opens (and closes) in February.  I don't expect to get cast, but I figure I owed it to my students to experience the terror from their side, to increase my empathy.  Since I'm usually on the other side of the director's chair, I know exactly what was weak about my audition, so we'll see.  One on the directing team turns out to be the sister-in-law of a former Ukarumpa teacher, the famous Mr Shea.  All together now:  Small World.

In other art news, I had a fabulous, serendipitous Saturday:  Christmas shopping with cousin Ge. in Chinatown, which serendipitously segued into dinner in Little Ethiopia with other intercultural studies students, which then turned into free tickets to a LA Philharmonic concert with cousin J. at Disney Concert Hall, a building I've been panting to visit for eons.  Wagner in the Disney!  Food!  Shopping!  Urban mish mash at it's greatest!! Great days.

Yesterday I went to an advance screening of "The Adjustment Bureau" with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt.  It'll be released sometime next year, but we Fuller film students got a go at it so we could give feedback to the media company, and, I suspect, just because our prof is friends with the higher-ups.  We paid for our free ticket by sharing opinions afterwards, a fair trade in my opinion as usually tickets at that cinema are $14 or more.  I got a flyer for another advance screening on Thursday, and there's another screening of a movie at Fuller on Friday...but surely I should do homework *some* time!  Yesterday was the first time I've seen a movie in a theatre since I was in Australia in, let's see, 2008, so two and a half years ago.  Not too long!  I keep meaning to get around to seeing Harry Potter 7, but have been preoccupied with other life events, like the intensive class that met everyday, which coincided with me working five days a week, which all added up to inner turmoil.  And not blogging.

I do have a list of ideas to record, lots of them from my intensive class called Power Encounter, but feel overwhelmed with the other pages and pages I must write, you you, dear reader, will have to wait.  I know that all two of you are disappointed. Dry your tears!  I'm going back to my homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.